Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What to do on a cold, rainy day

Were we going to let some bad weather ruin our family outings? No way!


Today we ventured into some very rural areas of Pa for some interesting activities. We started off at Roadside America which is located in Shartlesville. It is a ginormous miniature scene that was worked on from 1909 until 1960 by 1 man. Since that time no adjustments have been made. It was alittle like stepping back in time as all of the clothing and cars from the minatures were 1950s style...and it curiously smelled like our grandparents houses. It was pretty interesting and Jeff loved looking at all of the trains. It cost $6 to get in which I thought was a bit much and took about 1 hour to view.





It was really an incredible work of art but maybe not so Politically Correct (I think the Native American scene was the worst offender with cowboys tied up and totem pole and tee-pees in the same scene). Every 30 minutes they have a little show where they dim the lights so you can see the scene at night, they project Jesus on the wall and play God Bless America....like I said maybe not the most PC attraction.




After Roadside America we stopped to take pictures with a Giant Amish Couple and a Steamboat in the middle of a field..

we found both of these wonders on the website Roadside America (which is not affilitated with the attraction we had just visited).














We finished up our trip with a visit to the "high temple of taxedermy" Cabela's. Basically it is a giant hunting store (I mean ridiculously big...the parking lot has those signs on poles so you know where you parked your car) with a lot of dead animals...Now you may be thinking "wait a minute I thought Cindy didn't eat meat and is all animal loverish and all...you are right- I don't know what possessed me to go to this place. I think the pictures will speak for themself!

No comments:

Post a Comment